May 27, 2010
French Real Estate taxes and laws
Real Estate transactions are dealt with by the Notaire (Notary). The Notaire has responsibility to make the final deed and obtaining all relevant searches about the property to insure the property is transferred free and clear of any leans. The Notaire has responsibility and the power to transfer the property to the buying party . Like on the Dutch side of St. Maarten, the Notaire is responsible, by law, to both parties , A personal attorney is not necessary. As of 01 July 2007 the Commune St. Martin is directly attached (together with St. Barth’s) to mainland France and no longer under the jurisdiction of Guadeloupe.
- Land lease and fee simple deeds are available.
- Approx. 10% transfer tax; includes Notary fees and taxes.
- Land tax is applicable inquire for more information.
- No V.A.T. even though St. Martin is a borough within France.
- 33.5 % capital gains tax please inquire for defiscalisation ( no tax)
- Offshore companies are welcome with restrictions. But recently it has been possible to establish “local branches” of foreign companies. Such branches can purchase, sell and manage land in St. Martin
- Land speculation is limited. Build within six (6) months or additional taxes apply.
- Building permits and zoning require knowledge.
Sunshine Properties will be your competent , reliable partner for St Martin Real estate, offshore investment,
and property development and management.
Address: 93 Welfare Road, Cole Bay, St. Maarten, N.A.
Tel: (599) 544 4498/9
Fax: (599) 544 4544
Toll Free No. 1-866-978-6229
Exclusive Member of Leading Estates of the World